18 July 2011

When You Believe In Things You Don't Understand

I am not a huge superstitious person. Yes, sometimes I have little rituals that, when they get interrupted, I might feel a little anxiety. But other than that, I don't avoid black cats, dread Friday the 13th {I was born on one, after all} and I have no problem picking up pennies that are heads down.

But lately I have noticed that on Mondays everything has been going wrong. Now, I am on summer break so I don't even work on Mondays. There are no deadlines and no stress; just chores and errands that I still wake up and try to be ready for by 9am.

Last week I brought Noelle to the groomers and when I picked her up my car had stalled in the parking lot. This morning while making my morning cup, I was holding the canister of Teavana loose tea and dropped it, spilling all of it's contents.

I'm sure I could think of more, but quite honestly, I do not want to criticize Monday too much. I'm afraid I will not want to finish today! I will just head back to bed and wake up on Tuesday.


{This self-portrait was part of a final photography portfolio in college. I was stressed out, can you tell?}

Here are some interesting facts on superstitions and phobias:

Paraskevidekatriaphobia is the morbid, irrational fear of Friday the 13th. It was said that if you could pronounce the word paraskevidekatriaphobia you could be cured of the fear.

Abracadabra, a word used by magicians as a mystical word to invoke spirits, has origin in the Aramaic phrase, avda kedavra, meaning "what was said, has been done." For those of you Potter fans, J.K. Rowling was influenced by this for her Avada Kedavra curse.

In November 2004, Rolling Stone magazine ranked Stevie Wonder's song "Superstitious" at #74 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

The most popular lucky number is 7, but according to Cha-Cha the most winningest lottery number is 32 & 3.

Whether it would bring me more luck or not, this ceramic bowl from Paloma's Nest would look lovely on my dresser holding my jewelry. {I have always joked, for being born on Friday the 13th, I have always been very lucky!}


No comments:

Post a Comment